We are proud to be able to offer innovative programs at Hillcrest Elementary! Among them, we teach our students coding and much more through the Code to the Future program in grades K-6. Hillcrest is one of the first schools in Los Angeles county to implement a computer immersion program school wide for all students. In addition, we are excited about our new Makerspace lab which will be completed by the end of September 2018. We use Lego Robotics to support students with hands-on mathematical concepts, as well as to reinforce skills such as perseverance and team work.
As a Leader in Me school, we incorporate the following 7 Habits throughout our day: (please reinforce at home)
· Habit 1: Be Proactive (You’re in Charge)
· Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind (Have a Plan)
· Habit 3: Put First Things First
(Work First, Then Play)
· Habit 4: Think Win-Win (Everyone Can Win)
· Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be
Understood (Listen Before You Talk)
· Habit 6: Synergize (Together Is Better)
· Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw (Balance Feels Best)
These seven habits support our school-wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) that include proactive strategies to create a positive school environment by establishing the behavioral supports and social culture needed for all students in our school to achieve social, emotional and academic success.